EEA Family Permit

EEA Family Permit

The EEA Family Permit is usually granted to family members of EEA nationals who are nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA). An EEA family permit can be considered if:

  1. The Sponsor has been living and has a job, either as a worker or as a self-employed individual, in an EEA member state
  2. The Sponsor and his or her family member (spouse or civil partner) has been living together in an EEA country

The issuance of an EEA family permit is only for six months and the family member of an EEA national (non-EEA national) can apply for residence card before the expiration date of the EEA family permit. The residence card can be applied for by an individual as a family member of a British citizen who has entered the UK with family permit under the Surrinder Singh principle. In accordance with the EEA Regulations 2006, the residence card for a family member of an EEA national is issued for five years.

What is an EEA Family Permit?
An EEA family permit is the other name of entry clearance that is issued to a non EEA family member of an EEA national who is exercising his / her treaty rights in the UK in one of the following ways:

  1. Working in the UK on PAYE basis
  2. Working as self-employed person
  3. Being self-sufficient and maintaining comprehensive sickness insurance
  4. Studying in the UK and maintaining comprehensive sickness insurance

Who can apply for an EEA Family Permit ?

One can apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK if he/ she is

- From outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

- The family member or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)

Immediate family member

Following persons are considered as immediate family members of the EEA national:

  1. Spouse / Civil Partner
  2. Children under 21 years of age [including step / adopted children]
  3. Dependents in the ascending line i.e. parents / grandparents of the EEA national or of his / her spouse / civil partner [They need to be financially dependent on the EEA national]/

Extended family members:

  1. Children above 21 years of age
  2. Siblings
  3. Cousins
  4. Aunts
  5. Uncles
  6. Unmarried partners

The difference in both of these categories is that the immediate family members have got right to come and reside in the UK on the basis of their EEA national`s exercising his / her treaty rights in the UK while the extended family member have to meet a more strict criteria of prior residence with the EEA national out of the UK, financial dependency and other requirements.

It is important to note that even a small mistake / omission may result in refusal of EEA family permit application or dismissal of the appeal, resulting in making it even more complex. It is therefore strongly advised to take professional representation and leave this matter in our capable hands.

What Documents do you need to apply for an EEA Family Permit

The applicant and his EEA family member needs to provide documentary evidences of the genuineness of relationship, of the fact that the EEA national is genuinely exercising treaty rights and also the original identity documents, in support of the application. Once approved, the EEA family permit is issued for a maximum of 6 months which entitles the holder having full right to work in the UK. Once the applicant travels to the UK, he / she can make an application to obtain residence under which is issued for a period of five years. Residence card holders get full rights of working in the UK and can apply for permanent residence upon completing five years of residence in accordance with the EEA regulations provided their EEA national family member continues to exercise their treaty rights in the UK.

Why You Should Contact International Immigration Regarding This Case?

Ms Maeda Mobayyen, Principal Solicitor at International Immigration, is an expert Immigration Solicitor in London who has been dealing with UK Immigration Laws.

Whether you are a small to medium sized business in need of skilled workers in your UK office, or a global corporation that need to transfer staff from one country to another, our specialist team of immigration solicitors can help.

We have the benefit of regulation with the Office of Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Our solicitors combine an in-depth knowledge of the law and its practical application to your case, with a firm belief in your right to legal assistance and to committed representation throughout your matter. Our solicitors place service to the public above all else and are able to advise on the best possible course of funding in the event you do not qualify for legal aid. Our rates are competitive and we can also explore the opportunity to fund your case on a fixed fee basis.

Our Immigration Solicitors will provide the best possible Immigration advice / consultation under direct supervision of Maeda Mobayyen. 

After consultation, if you wish us to start preparing your case, you can expect the followings from our us:

  1. Our immigration solicitors will discuss the details about your immigration case, assess and advise you on the law, procedure and other requirements for the process.
  2. Our immigration solicitors will liaise with the immigration officer for expeditious decision on the application;
  3. Our immigration solicitors shall keep you updated on the progress of your immigration matters.
  4. Our immigration solicitors will advise you about the implications of the Home Office decision on your application.
  5. Our immigration solicitors will advise you about the documentary evidence to be submitted in support of your application for retaining your right of residence;
  6. Our immigration solicitors are specialist immigration solicitors who are able to handle all types of immigration work including
    1. Immigration bail applications 
    2. Immigration Appeals
    3. Judicial Reviews
    4. Indefinite Leave to remain applications, 
    5. further leave to remain applications,
    6. EEA applications 
    7. Settled and Pre-settled applications 
    8. entry clearance applications, 
  7. Our immigration solicitors are some of the best solicitors in London.
  8. Our immigration solicitors will advise you about the documentary evidence to be submitted in support of your application for retaining your right of residence;
  9. In International Immigration we have been teamed up with the some of the best immigration barristers in and outside London who are specialist in immigration matters. 
  10. We will help you pay the spouse visa application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) for the spouse visa application;

You can reach International Immigration on 07587691074 or

We Will Handle Your Case As If Its Our Own!